World creating are taking more and more time

antonidiuss
Go to solution Solved by Bryan,

So, I try to create a big world. 40x40 km. And I'm creating it by chunks of 512x512 units. First terrains took 5 min per terrain to create, Now - 30 min per terrain. Why it keep increasing and what to do? Math tell me that I will end generating 4 weeks later

i m very curious to know your pc specifications. I have a 5900x and 3070 and 4 km terrain give 80-100 fps at runtime (built-in pipeline).

21 hours ago, Bharat Sharma said:

i m very curious to know your pc specifications. I have a 5900x and 3070 and 4 km terrain give 80-100 fps at runtime (built-in pipeline).

It's server PC rented for creation). I'm talking about creating lands in World Designer. Running is good for performance. Problem is really that world really big. I need just a lot of flat terrain. No need in any errosion, mountains, etc. I will go with brushes/stumps later. 

processor: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 8-core Processor 3.9 GHz

RAM: 128 GB

No GPU.

• Solution

Two things to help this. 
1. I usually restart the editor every so often to clear your GPU Cache. 
2. When generating worlds or terrains its good practice to clear your Unity Cache to avoid build-up from the editor, which can cause this issue. Note this will not destroy your terrains but clean the project of all the deleted stuff. 

Hope this helps! 

On 5/25/2022 at 1:43 AM, Bryan said:

Two things to help this. 
1. I usually restart the editor every so often to clear your GPU Cache. 
2. When generating worlds or terrains its good practice to clear your Unity Cache to avoid build-up from the editor, which can cause this issue. Note this will not destroy your terrains but clean the project of all the deleted stuff. 

Hope this helps! 

I made a custom script that creates files, places terrain in position, makes dependecies, places info into terrain scenes array and saves. I've used Batching with the AssetDatabase. But it is without generation, just plane terrain (as I needed).

But I can't find in code of Gaia using of "AssetDatabase.StopAssetEditing". It could be be cool if gaia try to implement this. We really lost a lot of time on importing

Hi @antonidiuss, thanks for the input! When development on the "newer" gaia versions started, this feature did not exist yet, we did try to add this at some point, but if I remember correctly this would be problematic if your code would run through a coroutine, because the unity editor would gain control over the execution for a moment and act as if you never called AssetDatabase.StopAssetEditing (even though we would do so later down the line in the coroutine). This might potentially be the issue as well in the code sample you posted in the other thread where the asset import never stops.
But this has been a while ago around the release of 2019.3 / 2019.4 we last looked into this I think - I just put this down in our backlog to review this again.