Adding a custom shader to the terrain

SyTuck
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi everyone, new to the scene here and taking things slowly as there's lots of great stuff here to get up to speed on.

One thing I would like to do is add a "cursor" on the ground for spawning items in runtime. I've done this with a basic terrain but how would I do this with something as complex as a gaia terrain?

Thank you
Jordan

• Solution

Hi @SyTuck, please note that Gaia Terrains are still regular unity terrains - if your solution that you created for the "basic" terrains would work on an unity terrain, it should work on gaia terrains too.

There are multiple ways to achieve this, you could have a textured & semi - transparent mesh floating in close distance over the terrain. Depending on your render pipeline the easiest way could be to use decals / projectors:

https://docs.unity3d.com/2022.1/Documentation/Manual/visual-effects-decals.html
Note that it says at the bottom that if you are using the built-in pipeline, you can use projectors - to my knowledge those do not work on terrains that are using the "Draw Instanced" setting in the terrain inspector, that is something to watch out for.