null ref error

LanGamArt
Go to solution Solved by LanGamArt,

I got the following error which caused me to delete the entire project because I was unable to cancel it. I started again but the error appeared again. Kinda infuriating.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
UnityEditor.AssetDatabase.Contains (UnityEngine.Object obj) (at <0d6ce211ebbc47e1a35a84c3672ff58f>:0)
GeNa.Core.GeNaTerrainExtensionEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/GeNa/Scripts/Editor/Extensions/GeNaTerrainExtensionEditor.cs:16)

I mostly try to use the latest versions, there are usually no problems with them. However, this really threw me off the finished project because I couldn't uninstall it despite the error message that I deleted the Gena files.

• 2 weeks later...

Gena 3.4.7

Unity: 2021.3.9f1 personal

The error phenomenon is the same as in the other Unity versions. This practically made it unusable for me. I can't use other gaia minds like ambient sound either.

On 2/8/2023 at 6:23 PM, LanGamArt said:

Gena 3.4.7

Unity: 2021.3.9f1 personal

The error phenomenon is the same as in the other Unity versions. This practically made it unusable for me. I can't use other gaia minds like ambient sound either.

Hi @LanGamArt,

We have released a new version of GeNa (3.4.8). Could you please import it into your project and let me know if you are still running into the same problem as before? Thanks!

GeNa Pro v3.4.8 Download

Hey @LanGamArt,

We actually fixed this issue in GeNa 3.4.8 as there wasn't any null reference checks at that part of the code. Please ensure that it works for you by completely removing GeNa from your project and importing the new version.

• Solution

Well, this will be very interesting: I got bored and deleted the line that caused the error from the C# code, and the error signal disappeared... so far I don't experience any other errors while running, but if the error occurs again, I will take a picture of it and send it.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/24/2023 at 7:27 AM, LanGamArt said:

Well, this will be very interesting: I got bored and deleted the line that caused the error from the C# code, and the error signal disappeared... so far I don't experience any other errors while running, but if the error occurs again, I will take a picture of it and send it.

That would be an enormous help! We really appreciate your support 🙂

• 3 months later...

I'm getting the same error using Gena 3.5.3, in Unity 2023.1.  I deleted the line and the error stopped announcing itself.  Not seeing any difference either way.

• 3 months later...

Also getting the identical error, also in Gena 3.5.3 with Unity 2023.1.

Oddly enough, I'm not getting it in another project with an almost identical terrain/scene setup (and gena/unity versions).  I'll also comment out Line 16 and post again if it doesn't clear it.

Good news -- exiting my projects (2 open, both 2023.1) and restarting seems to have resolved the problem!  BTW, simply refreshing/reloading the default editor window setup had no effect.  Thanks!