Null reference when using the stamper - Unity 2022.2.1f1 problem only (works in 2021)

redkardevs

EDIT: This only happens in latest version of Unity 2022. It works fine in 2021. I suppose it would be good to know if it will be fixed 😄

Hello. I keep getting a null reference error when using the stamper. I have Gaia Pro 2021. Unity Version is 2022.2.1f1. Fresh install in a new project today, just to get into grips with Gaia. I've had it for ages but did not get a chance to play around with it until now.

I tried to follow the stamper tutorial but ran into an issue. Here is the video, showing the process. Perhaps it's me doing something wrong.

I would really appreciate some help with this.

Errors

Make Objects Persistent failed because the object can not be loaded
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:SaveOperationData (Gaia.GaiaOperation,UnityEngine.ScriptableObject) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:3827)
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:Stamp (Gaia.StamperSettings,bool,Gaia.Stamper,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:2042)
Gaia.StamperEditor:DrawStamperControls (bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/StamperEditor.cs:1218)
Gaia.StamperEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/StamperEditor.cs:767)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

Serialization not implemented for type MonoBehaviour
UnityEngine.StackTraceUtility:ExtractStackTrace ()
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:SaveOperationData (Gaia.GaiaOperation,UnityEngine.ScriptableObject) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:3827)
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager:Stamp (Gaia.StamperSettings,bool,Gaia.Stamper,bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:2042)
Gaia.StamperEditor:DrawStamperControls (bool) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/StamperEditor.cs:1218)
Gaia.StamperEditor:OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/StamperEditor.cs:767)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: target
Gaia.GaiaSessionManager.Stamp (Gaia.StamperSettings stamperSettings, System.Boolean executeNow, Gaia.Stamper stamper, System.Boolean massStamp) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/SessionSystem/GaiaSessionManager.cs:2044)
Gaia.StamperEditor.DrawStamperControls (System.Boolean showHelp) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/StamperEditor.cs:1218)
Gaia.StamperEditor.OnInspectorGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/StamperEditor.cs:767)
UnityEditor.UIElements.InspectorElement+<>c__DisplayClass71_0.<CreateIMGUIInspectorFromEditor>b__0 () (at <f7044ab663d344a2badf1160e57d1c1d>:0)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

Here's a video showing the issue:  

• redkardevs changed the title to Null reference when using the stamper - Unity 2022.2.1f1 problem only (works in 2021)

Hi @redkardevs & @Inc, thanks for reporting! We looked into this and this is indeed a bug in Gaia that only shows in the Unity 2022.2 version. Unfortunately this release seems to made some changes to asset / memory management that create issues in portions of Gaia that have been running without issues in all earlier versions.
These problems are difficult for us to detect because the same code can run fine without problems in certain constellations where in others it creates the errors you were reporting. We were able to reproduce the issue you reported and an update is on the way and should be available in a few hours.

I ve updated to new version and get this errors on open gaia manager tab, is it worth to re install? And also I would check for repro in empty project and let you know.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor.GaiaManagerStatusCheck (System.Boolean force) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:6648)
Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor.OnEnable () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:248)
UnityEditor.EditorWindow:GetWindow(Boolean, String)
Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor:ShowGaiaManager() (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:168)

Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor.GaiaManagerStatusCheck (System.Boolean force) (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:6648)
Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor.OnInspectorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:3718)
UnityEditor.HostView.OnInspectorUpdate () (at <dbec13b8891f4cb392de8ec34da2cbaf>:0)

PWCommon5.EditorUtils.Tabs (PWCommon5.TabSet tabs, UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[] options) (at <5e780e565d3b4b63836c767b4e8e9d7f>:0)
Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:3809)
UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition) (at <dbec13b8891f4cb392de8ec34da2cbaf>:0)
UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <dbec13b8891f4cb392de8ec34da2cbaf>:0)
UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <dbec13b8891f4cb392de8ec34da2cbaf>:0)
UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <a69592e6e5cf4003ac6707a67bdf3fd1>:0)
UnityEngine.GUIUtility:ProcessEvent(Int32, IntPtr, Boolean&)

Gaia.GaiaManagerEditor.OnInspectorUpdate () (at Assets/Procedural Worlds/Gaia/Scripts/Editor/GaiaManagerEditor.cs:3718)
UnityEditor.HostView.OnInspectorUpdate () (at <dbec13b8891f4cb392de8ec34da2cbaf>:0)

lFgxK1F.png

Hello @Inc,

glad to hear your issues went away after the re-install. I had a look into that error message from your screenshot, and it looked like it had an issue with the Gaia Manager tabs not being initialized correctly at that moment. Why that is I'm not sure, it might potentially happen if the Gaia Manager is open when a new Gaia version is installed over it. That error might also have fixed itself by closing and re-opening the unity editor. If such a window is in a corrupted state, it can still be kept in memory when it is closed and is then "recycled" when opened again from the menu, but if you close down unity it should force it to re-initialize itself again on next startup.