GeNa without Gaia?

Thomas123
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi there,

I wanted to use GeNa without Gaia, because I already have a working setup. So I added GeNa to my existing project and added a spawner. But GeNa won't work as expected. It won't throw any errors but it won't show the spawner Gizmoz either. And it does not spawn anything.

Can GeNa be used without installing Gaia first? If not, can I run Gena without all the Gaia Overhead?

11 hours ago, Thomas123 said:

Hi there,

I wanted to use GeNa without Gaia, because I already have a working setup. So I added GeNa to my existing project and added a spawner. But GeNa won't work as expected. It won't throw any errors but it won't show the spawner Gizmoz either. And it does not spawn anything.

Can GeNa be used without installing Gaia first? If not, can I run Gena without all the Gaia Overhead?

Hey @Thomas123

That's concerning that you're having issues using GeNa without Gaia. GeNa was designed as a standalone product so you shouldn't have to have Gaia installed. Are you using GeNa 2 or GeNa Pro? Also what version of Unity are you using?

Hi @Manny,

nice to hear, that it's a standalone product. So it just has to be a setup problem.

Yes, I do have problems with GeNa Pro. It won't be triggered in Edit-Mode. Normally green dots will show up and show the spawn location when e.g. previewing tree spawns (shift+click). This won't work. Neither does the spawn itself (ctrl+click)

- I use "GeNaPro340.unitypackage" from the download area.

- And I use Unity 2021.3.16f1

Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-22 um 09.33.26.png

Bildschirm­foto 2022-12-22 um 09.36.37.png

Its broke for me as well, I have not used pro lately, so I went to use it, and shift left click normally works to visualize.... it does not

Shift works to visualize, not sure why this is like that.  after use control left click to spawn.  They need to change the UI to shift only... The UI is reflecting wrong info.  I mention this awhile ago, it may have got over looked. (it happens)  I know we asked for shift only to visualize awhile ago. So they prolly forgot to change the UI to reflect the change. 

So just use Shift, Thomas. Not click for visualization, and hopefully Manny can update that UI to reflect.

• Solution

Hi @Thomas123,

Yes, I do have problems with GeNa Pro. It won't be triggered in Edit-Mode. Normally green dots will show up and show the spawn location when e.g. previewing tree spawns (shift+click). This won't work. Neither does the spawn itself (ctrl+click)

from past experience the number one reason for this happening is when one of the spawn criteria that is set up in the spawner is preventing the spawn. To rule out that this is happening in this case, could you please try to set up your spawn criteria as follows:

image.png

Please also make sure that the terrain is either on the "Default" layer or, if not, that the layer that the terrain is on is included in the "Ground Layer" setting (otherwise GeNa would not recognize the terrain as spawnable ground).
The settings above esentially translate to "Spawn everywhere" and it can be ruled out that any criteria like height would prevent the spawn. If this setup works with visualizing / spawning, you can add the desired criteria back one by one again until you find the one that is preventing the visualization / spawn from happening. 

Hi @Peter,

Thanks for your help. The settings were already set as you suggested.

The problem was the layer the terrain is on ("Ground"). I've added it and everything works as expected.

• Like 1