No ground texture on URP for Android

Muelsaco
Go to solution Solved by Recon,

Hello,

First of all thank you for your assets, they are really amazing!

Everything is working great except for URP on Android builds (no problem with URP - Windows or SRP all platforms).

I've tried with several Unity version (currently using 2021.3.8f1) and with different biomes, no biome etc and everytime the ground doesn't show up. Only imposters are shown (not enabled on this screenshot).

spacer.png

I'm considering going with SRP because I've already spent so many hours trying to understand what is going on. Maybe you have an idea?

Note that I'm only using your assets in this test, nothing else, Ultra Light mode, 256 sq meter tiles (4x4). So nothing problematic for my phone (Honor View 20).

If you need more information or the apk please let me know.

Thank you

I forgot to mention that it works perfectly in the editor, the issue is only on the apk build. So yes the terrain data is working fine (at least in the editor, how can I see that with the apk?). Moreover I can see the details showing when flying all around and the trees/objects are all placed at the proper heights.

Thanks!

The issue is, Gaia still uses the standard Unity terrain system. 
The world generation wouldnt effect that. Unless you were using GTS. 
Even then it has been tested with all platforms. 

If the build works in a normal windows build that could only assume that the Android build is the problem. 
The next question is why? If its working in the editor that would make the build itself corrupted. 

I will keep investigating and see if I can make an android build work myself. 

40 minutes ago, Bryan said:

The issue is, Gaia still uses the standard Unity terrain system. 
The world generation wouldnt effect that. Unless you were using GTS. 
Even then it has been tested with all platforms. 

If the build works in a normal windows build that could only assume that the Android build is the problem. 
The next question is why? If its working in the editor that would make the build itself corrupted. 

I will keep investigating and see if I can make an android build work myself. 

There was an known issue with Android only with URP, with terrains not rendering..  So you may want to check with Unity, its on the bug tracker last year, not sure about current though.. Just thought I point that out.  

Thats what I am thinking. As we would have no control over it. 
Nothing we do would effect the terrain not showing up as its the terrain itself and the Unity shader. 
I am also curious if this is one of the URP template issues as well. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Thanks for the answer, sorry for the late feedback I was in holidays ^^

But no one is using Gaia pro on URP Android ? Or something is wrong with unity on my computer ? (I tested several unity version, always working on the editor but not with the Android build)

I will try to make a build with another computer just in case but that's very strange.

Thanks

Recon was right looking at Unity's Bug Tracker. 
Android and URP is having issues rendering the terrain. 
Looking at the logs there is multiple complaints about this and they have not found a solution as of yet. 

I made a lot more tests and I was able to find more precisely where the issue comes from.

First of all everything is working fine when we are not using world streaming. It also works if we are using it and only using the biome texture spawner. But when we are using any other biome spawners (trees, details, objects), it bugs. Weird thing is that when we clear all spawns, so back to only textures, it bugs too (and remember it works if we only use texture spawners from the start). I've also tried to place manually the same objects, like put some trees in the terrain manually (not painting on terrain, just placing), it works too.

To resume there is something wrong with the combination of world streaming, biome object spawners, URP and android build ^^' But it seems clearly linked to Gaia pro

What player are you using? 
Are you using a custom player? If so are you using that with the Gaia Custom Player? 
That would be the only thing that would stop world streaming from working. 

As far as biomes are concerned there really isnt anything that would stop it from working. 
They just place down objects, add trees and details to the terrain, and paint on the terrain. 

I'm not sure to understand the question, in the player settings I've just put Fixed DPI to 200 and OpenGLES3.

Otherwise I'm using Unity 2021.3.8f1 but I've tried other versions and I have the same issue.

Have you tried to make an android build yourself?

Sorry I just understood the question.

I'm using your default flying camera with a very small modification to the script so it can handle mobile (just capturing input when Input.touchCount > 0)

• Solution
17 hours ago, Muelsaco said:

I'm not sure to understand the question, in the player settings I've just put Fixed DPI to 200 and OpenGLES3.

Otherwise I'm using Unity 2021.3.8f1 but I've tried other versions and I have the same issue.

Have you tried to make an android build yourself?

First be sure to answer any if Brians questions first. Then try what I will suggest after please.  in Gaia, there is custom player set up, or not, so how did you set up your player, when you set up GAIA under the player settings, that is what Brian was asking.  

I actually develop currently with a game that my kids are making for Unity in Android.. 

.  I typically develop for Android for many years for companies and clients.  I say this to let you know I understand your frustration, but as a user myself, Android URP, more so, is something alot of us developers see commonly... I see this in other Discord as well all the time...  

Try this with out URP, and see if the issue is still there.....  Make a duplicate of the Unity folder, scene, or make a new scene with built in, and try it....   I bet the issue is gone.   I know that is not a fix, but that is a way to help trouble shoot, to this issue that I see all the time with Unity URP, and Android together. this very issue.    This way you can see if its a URP issue or not...  to start with.  it prolly is, but to confirm this. 

Do this first though, it may or may not help but I see this too.. Delete your camera, and re set one up.  if that don't fix it, check your camera priority level set it to 1, it should be -1.  But set it to 1.  see if it fixes it.

If that don't work, then try built in as a test. Like I said I would either make a new scene, or duplicate that project and switch the other project to built in for troubleshooting reasons.  I do this to test things, it helps so you don't mess with your main scene and lose anything... 

Lastly, send a build, so maybe we can test it, this may happen just on your device, Android, has a ton of GPUs way more than PC.... many devices, that can cause odd issues with URP... its been a major issue for Unity and Android, for users.... 

This may be isolated to your device, or your project...   So, start there.

I would share a build here, after you tried all of what I suggested first, I can test on my tablet and phones that I have.. to see if I can see the issue on my devices, I have newer and older ones...

"check your camera priority level set it to 1, it should be -1.  But set it to 1.  see if it fixes it."

Wow setting the camera priority to 1 fixed it! Thanks a lot for your input. What is this parameter and do you have an idea why it made the streamer bug?

Thanks!

19 hours ago, Muelsaco said:

"check your camera priority level set it to 1, it should be -1.  But set it to 1.  see if it fixes it."

Wow setting the camera priority to 1 fixed it! Thanks a lot for your input. What is this parameter and do you have an idea why it made the streamer bug?

Thanks!

ya its a Unity bug, with there camera .. Sadly its been there for awhile.