HDRP ToD weather / snow cover support for PW_General_ShaderGraph_HDRP shader

mroshaw
Go to solution Solved by Josh,

Hello again!

I was reading an interesting post on Canopy, that suggested the PW shaders that respond to snow fall can be used on other materials, such as the roofs of buildings:

This sounds great, so I went to try it out. It looks like the HDRP shader, PW_General_ShaderGraph_HDRP, works great if I manually apply the progress slider as Peter mentioned in the post.

However, on activating the "snow" weather in HDRP ToD, it doesn't seem to integrate into the shader. So no "cover progress" during the snowy weather at all.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is something that hasn't been implemented yet?

Thoughts most welcome!

Regards,

Oli

On 9/9/2022 at 5:44 PM, mroshaw said:

Hello again!

I was reading an interesting post on Canopy, that suggested the PW shaders that respond to snow fall can be used on other materials, such as the roofs of buildings:

This sounds great, so I went to try it out. It looks like the HDRP shader, PW_General_ShaderGraph_HDRP, works great if I manually apply the progress slider as Peter mentioned in the post.

However, on activating the "snow" weather in HDRP ToD, it doesn't seem to integrate into the shader. So no "cover progress" during the snowy weather at all.

I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, or if this is something that hasn't been implemented yet?

Thoughts most welcome!

Regards,

Oli

Shader stuff for our old shader should be implimented although the hdrp version of our shader did not have the features supported so it may be that this has not yet been added to gaia and is why it's not working. Will have to check with a member of the team to confirm this is the case.

Josh

Hey Josh, 

The shader works, it just doesn't seem to be integrated with HDRP ToD.

So, I guess there's a possible enhancement to HDRP ToD that would lerp the cover parameter ("_PW_Cover") of the material shader ("PW_General_ShaderGraph_HDRP") over time, when Snow weather starts and stops. Something like:

public Material snowRoofMaterial;

private IEnumerator EnableRooftopSnowAsync()

{

float timeElapsed;

float startValue = 0.0f;

float endValue = 1.0f;

float snowRoofFadeTime = 5.0f;

while (timeElapsed < snowRoofFadeTime)
   {
      currentValue = Mathf.Lerp(startValue, endValue, timeElapsed / snowRoofFadeTime);

// Set the Procedural Worlds shader snow cover value
      snowRoofMaterial.SetFloat("_PW_Cover", currentValue);
      timeElapsed += Time.deltaTime;
      yield return null;
   }

}

• Solution
On 9/14/2022 at 8:55 PM, mroshaw said:

Hey Josh, 

The shader works, it just doesn't seem to be integrated with HDRP ToD.

So, I guess there's a possible enhancement to HDRP ToD that would lerp the cover parameter ("_PW_Cover") of the material shader ("PW_General_ShaderGraph_HDRP") over time, when Snow weather starts and stops. Something like:

public Material snowRoofMaterial;

private IEnumerator EnableRooftopSnowAsync()

{

float timeElapsed;

float startValue = 0.0f;

float endValue = 1.0f;

float snowRoofFadeTime = 5.0f;

while (timeElapsed < snowRoofFadeTime)
   {
      currentValue = Mathf.Lerp(startValue, endValue, timeElapsed / snowRoofFadeTime);

// Set the Procedural Worlds shader snow cover value
      snowRoofMaterial.SetFloat("_PW_Cover", currentValue);
      timeElapsed += Time.deltaTime;
      yield return null;
   }

}

Hmm i don't remember seeing a _PW_Cover for shader in our stuff maybe this was added without me knowing. But yeah i can add it in to make sure it is also applying this value, i think this could be our 2nd cover layer in our shader.