January requests

Adam

3 minutes ago, Sorra the Orc said:

Assembly Definitions are *critical* for anyone wanting to use Gaia in a modern production environment. Please Please Please add assembly definitions to all PW products. It is currently impossible to create UPM packages that leverage PW products because of the absence of them. Of course I can add my own locally, but when it comes to sharing code this becomes a real barrier to adoption.

I'm about to set about creating a minimum set of definitions locally fo Gaia (and maybe GeNa) to unblock my work. When done I will share them here to give the team a start,

To follow on from this, can you also refactor your folder structure to follow best practice in Unity product? That is Runtime and Editor folders. this will make creating the Assembly definitions much easier as well as adding readability to the code.

I realize that these kinds of requests only hit a small number of your customers (those working with your tools through code) but this is exactly the kind of friction that I believe drives people away from the product. I know this to be true for me personally, I believe it is true for many others too. 

18 minutes ago, Sorra the Orc said:

To follow on from this, can you also refactor your folder structure to follow best practice in Unity product? That is Runtime and Editor folders. this will make creating the Assembly definitions much easier as well as adding readability to the code.

Yes, we will change this soon, we wanted to do a folder cleanup in the next bigger update where we remove all those subfolders - those do not help much with keeping things organized, it is rather the opposite and makes generation of assembly definition files tedious. We did not include assembly definition files into Gaia because there was an issue with GeNa where there was some sort of cyclic reference between the two, this is also something we wanted to address in the cleanup.

9 minutes ago, Peter said:

Yes, we will change this soon, we wanted to do a folder cleanup in the next bigger update where we remove all those subfolders - those do not help much with keeping things organized, it is rather the opposite and makes generation of assembly definition files tedious. We did not include assembly definition files into Gaia because there was an issue with GeNa where there was some sort of cyclic reference between the two, this is also something we wanted to address in the cleanup.

Good to know. I just spent about an hour trying to get a brute solution working but it's just not going to happen. 

For context I am getting to the point of making my final decisions on tooling for our product development. We need to be able to build our own tooling around the things we adopt. So, things like this are critical. We can proceed without, for now, but it means we can't put our code into a UPM package which is our *much* preferred workflow in a team. Perhaps more importantly, where appropriate we intend to open source any tooling we build. Some of it should be useful to some of your customers.

I'm going to give up on this now since you say a folder refactoring is planned.

On 12/28/2021 at 12:37 PM, Adam said:

GeNa Pro will do this for you right now. Use a spline and the carve tool. Add in a little noise to make it more organic.

Yeah it totally does for a path. But the same kind of concept doesn't work well for mismatched stamps/blending between two odd heights.
Being able to blend something together after you've stamped a lump in the middle of your terrain and left a bunch of square edges is something a lot of amateurs run into.

• Adam locked, featured and pinned this topic

Requests for January are closed. Please vote on what you want made. Next set of requests can go into the February group of requests.

• Adam unpinned this topic
  • Adam pinned this topic