Character controller "sticks" to side of GeNa path / road

mroshaw
Go to solution Solved by Peter,

Hi!

I've created paths using GeNa road splines, carved, cleared and applied the "RoadDirtProfile". I've then baked the mesh, and it's all looking good.

However, when walking alongside the path, my character controller seems to "bump" into the side of the road mesh. I don't know if this is an issue with the GeNa road, or the controller. I'm using Invector 3rd Person Shooter Template as my controller.

I've recorded a short video. You'll see that when I approach the path at a shallow angle, instead of walking straight over, the character is "buffeted" along the edge of the path. Eventually, the character will "step over" what feels like an invisible curb:

https://youtu.be/DXV-X1HFFm4https://youtu.be/DXV-X1HFFm4

I've asked for feedback on the Invector support channel, but feedback was to ask here as well.

Any ideas what might be causing this and how I might resolve?

Many thanks again!

Unity: 2021.3.4f1
Gaia Pro: 3.2.4-c5
GeNa Pro: 3.3.18-c5

• Solution

Hi @mroshaw, I think what is going on here is that the character controller simply gets stuck on the collider of the road mesh - can you please try if that issue persists if you deactivate the mesh collider for the road:

image.png

If it does not, you could consider turning it off altogether (need to see if feet of character clip into road then though), or try to see if you can tweak the character controller to step up onto that collider in these moments. You can try to bring the road mesh closer to the road, but that can create clipping issues with the terrain quickly.

Thsnk you Peter! Yes, that's exactly it. There is a setting in the Controller that allowed me to resolve this.

Once again, thanks for the prompt and helpful response!